Tuesday, October 02, 2007

My current obsession (besides peanut butter)

is baking.



And I knew it, when I found myself baking at 12 wtf, as in AM not PM... itu hsemate was like saying "Wah you damn random hor..." but nvm la, since she usually stay up till 3 I have someone to try the first batch out from the oven.


Anyway, since I'm on the subject, I might as well include the recipe of what I baked yesterdaytoday in this post.




The cookies have a really nice name to start off, it's called Santa's Surprise Cookies, and I found the recipe in a magazine, which I was curi-curi reading in Borders after taking photos of random people. (EH btw the photos nice anot I'm showing it to the class tomorrow what if the lecturer don't like die la die la :S)

For all SNICKERS® fans and/or peanut butter addicts like myself , I'm quite sure this will be able to satisfy whatever craving you have, even the ones that come at the middle of the night. :P




Santa's Surprise Cookies

You'll need:

1 pkt SNICKERS® mini bars
1 cup butter (softened - melt them in microwave for 5-10 secs)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 cup creamy peanut butter (go for KRAFTS! :D)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt



Instrustions:
  1. Combine the butter, peanut butter and sugars using a mixer on a medium to low speed until light and fluffy.
  2. Slowly add eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Then mix in the flour, salt and baking soda.
  3. Cover and chill dough for 2-3 hours. (I skipped this step, haha!)
  4. Cut SNICKERS® Mini Bars into 1/2 inch pieces. (I cut mine into 5 - 6 slices)
  5. Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide into 1-tablespoon pieces and flatten.
  6. Place a piece of SNICKERS® in the center of each piece of dough.
  7. Form each piece of dough into a ball around the SNICKERS® piece.
  8. Preheat oven. (I did mine on 180˚C for around 10 minutes)
  9. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 180˚C for 8-10 minutes or until cookie turns slightly brown.
  10. Let cookies cool on baking rack or wax paper.
* Spruce up cookies by drizzling melted cooking chocolate over the top of each cookie!


This is after a lil bit of alteration, the original recipe uses 1 cup sugar instead of 1/2 and I still think it's sweet. Also, I got lazy trying to hide snickers pieces into the dough so I ended up pressing them onto the cookie right after taking them out from the oven.

The recipe is supposed to yield 2 dozens of cookies but guess how many I ended up making by using the same amount of ingredients as stated????



Around 100 cookie.

No kidding.


Maybe the cookies were meant to be super-duper BIG that's why.




The 'surprise' that lies within...

I did some with the SNICKERS® inside the dough also la but for a noob like me it's really time consuming cuz I have to pinch the sides just nice to cover the SNICKERS® pieces and it was 3am in the morning and I have assignments waiting for me.


So at the end, I gave in to the lazy-people's method and pop the SNICKERS® pieces on top of the cookie, which turned out pretty good too. =)




Yesla I know I am always very lebih with the decorations, but nice mar not nice mer???
Better than to just leave them blank on top right?







And...



I also tried a couple of em with Hershey's every-so-yummy Cookies 'n' Creme chocolate as the filling and it turns out...




very yummy as well :9

especially with milk! (Cookies always taste better with milk)



If you're creative enough you can try substituting the SNICKERS® pieces with any kind of your desired chocolate. Combine it with the peanut butter cookie as an outer layer and you'll get a double-oooooommph! (HAHAHA I'm making out my own words)






So...

what time did I finish cleaning/storing the cookies/start doing assignments due on the same day?


Trust me, you don't wanna know.







RAWR I ate so much of my own cookies because I was so happy that they turned out better than I had imagined. That's what happens all the time, I bake, then I eat and I eat and I eat and I eat until it's almost finished, before giving some to friends... now please don't say you can't recognize me when I get back okay??? D=



Go, try the recipe and share your experiences with me! :D










Oh and here's the culprit that triggered my insistence to bake:



It may look like a normal bar of chocolate wafer but the peanut butttttter is just mmmm mmmm mmmm yummmm... crunchy wafers with thick and creamy peanut butter slab in between, very nice indeed.

Do try it if you happen to spot it in your local departmental store, highly recommended =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

gimme!!

Char said...

hahhahah u want me to send it to u????? sapoh oh sa poh